What is a skin diagnosis?
A skin diagnosis is an examination of the skin to analyze its condition and specific needs. Since the types of skin vary, they require different care tailored to each skin type. A suited and tailored beauty routine is always better to meet a person’s skin needs. Let’s take a closer look at the different existing skin types.
Different skin types:
Skin is the human body’s largest organ. Understanding skin type is an important step in creating a personalized skin care routine that will best meet the skin needs. Skin Vision gives 5 most common skin types including:
- Combination skin – Combination skin is a mix of both oily and dry skin. It can have an oily T-zone (forehead, nose, and chin) and drier cheeks;
- Dry skin – Dry skin lacks the natural oils needed to keep it hydrated. It can be rough and itchy in some areas;
- Normal skin – Normal skin is generally well-balanced, with a healthy glow and few blemishes or imperfections;
- Oily skin – Oily skin is characterized by an overproduction of sebum, which can lead to a shiny appearance, clogged pores, and an increased risk of acne breakouts;
- Sensitive skin – Sensitive skin is easily irritated, resulting in rashes or allergic reactions.
These skin types also include the following characteristics :
- Mature skin – Mature skin is characterized by fine lines, wrinkles and age spots
Knowing your skin type is a key element given in the benefits of a personalized skin analysis.
Benefits of skin diagnosis?
Skin diagnosis is essential to identify skin type, detect skin problem or disorder in order to choose and manage a personalized skin care or treatment.
Benefits of a facial skin analysis
A full and personalized skin diagnosis offers a number benefits including:
- A precise understanding of people’s skin type to adopt a personalized beauty routine and let free from the issues that can arise from a generic one;
- A better knowledge of the skin’s health at a given time and skin changes over time according to the individual’s eating habits, environment and even emotions;
- An improvement of the skin’s general appearance thanks to a bespoke beauty routine using specific cosmetics products, such as face serum, cream, mask, etc.
With the use of advanced technology including artificial intelligence (AI) in the cosmetic industry, smart beauty is booming! Riding the wave of tools powered by AI, face skin analysis now offers a whole new consumer experience providing fully personalized skin care.
How does personalized skin diagnosis work?
Personalized skin diagnosis can be carried out either online or in person at a beauty salon. Several types of skin analysis exist:
Online beauty questionnaires and quizzes
Questionnaires use help to gather information on skin type and current skin conditions as well as an individual’s lifestyle (diet, sport, skin care routine, etc). Depending on the answers, skin diagnosis provides a full image of the face, a personalized skin type analysis and skin care recommendations that suit best the skin identified needs.
Face skin analysis from a smartphone
Thanks to AI, deep learning and augmented reality technologies, this type of skin diagnosis makes it possible to take a selfie and get an in-depth analysis of an individual’s skin including skin texture, hydration, wrinkles, firmness, eye contour, skin eruptions, etc. It captures a photo of the face at a given time and shows skin needs through a face map. Some beauty brands offer mobile apps dedicated to facial skin analysis.
For instance, Skin Genius from the L’Oréal Group, “has learned how to compare your skin to a library of 10,000 real images scored by real dermatologists and experts.”
Skin diagnosis in beauty shop or laboratories
Skin analysis can be carried out through a verbal questionnaire and to touch as well as using devices to capture high-resolution images of the skin. These technologies use several types of light including polarized, crossed and parallel light or ultraviolet light to analyze skin and reveal more information about its condition.
All the information collected draws a full picture of the face and is used to understand the underlying reasons why some skin conditions occur and how best to take care of them with a personalized beauty routine.
Lastly, analyzing skin can include short-term skin monitoring to understand the skin moisture or oil level and identify the type of personalized skin care that would best suit the skin type.
This analysis can be complemented by a suited beauty routine to achieve more sustainable results.
Private label cosmetics manufacturer, ALPOL Cosmetique, can assist beauty brands to connect an AI-powered skin diagnosis solution to the development of personalized skin care. Contact the teams.